Neufang was founded ca. 1325. The first settlers are thought to have been miners and shepherds. In 1506, Neufang was described as a circular village situated around a pond on a gentle slope. The property records in Kronach listed Phillip von Wallenfels to Lichtenfels and Thierbach as the administrator. In 1507, Neufang included 21 properties, 1 parish house, 1 grain mill in the Remschnitz, and a sawmill for Neufang in Leitsch, 43 cleared and plowed fields.
In 1833, Dr. Joseph Anton Eisenmann describes Neufang in a report to the Archbishop in Bamberg as, "The parish of Neufang, which lies in the southeastern district of the diaconate of Teuschnitz - expanded in the royal jurisdiction of Kronach and the patrimonial jurisdiction of Oberrodach and Weissenbrunn of the Obermain area includes: 1 church, 1 cemetery, 1 village, 4 hamlets, 3 remote farms, and 537 souls including 1 Protestant."
In 1925, the village included 587 inhabitants. In 1978, there were 724 inhabitants, and, in 2011, approximately 740 inhabitants.
The parish church, St. Laurentius zu Neufang, was founded in 11 Sept. 1492, and celebrated its 500th anniversary in 1992.
Neufang’s coat-of-arms includes a red miner’s hammer and shepherd’s shovel signifying the occupation of the earliest dwellers, the black grill signifies the Patron, St. Laurentius (Lawrence) martyred death by burning on a grill.